We thought you might appreciate this piece from Sacramento. It’s both a cautionary tale, and one of positive eventual outcomes.
Cautionary, because the City started out by installing a 311 system without considering how to handle the calls efficiently once they arrived, thus causing a negative backlash from drowned Public expectations.
Positive, in that by offering an App (at $100K cost-ouch!), they can start to bypass the bureaucracy of call-triage, and get to the Departments that are responsible for doing the work.
You can see on the front-page of their website that the Public can, once they find the link on the bottom-left of the page, download three possible types of App! Follow the links and the Service Offerings are very restricted from a self-serve perspective; there are no connections to the County or State, so that Public still has to know that what they are reporting is in fact a City-provided service.
Public Service Request, out of the cloud-based “web box”, can deliver:
- Citizen engagement directly with every Department, right to the individual responsible, using the web.
- Auto re-direct for services that are the responsibility of the Upper Tier Agency, the Lower Tier Agency, the Conservation Agency, the Parks Agency, Utilities, Animal Welfare agencies etc.
- Accessibility from any browser, anywhere, especially iPhones, Blackberry(s) and their smartphone equivalents.
- Front-end Work Management with interface to your internal Work Management system (may require API configuration, subject to connectivity from the WM system supplier).
- Customized “web widgets” for every page on your website, to further streamline communications.
- Controlled feedback to the Public, and internal Service Request initiators, for real engagement and a consistent internal business process.
- Periodic, configurable summary reports (suitable for Council consumption).
- Contact Analytics to help focus resources to where they are most needed.
- Low annual cost with full onsite local support.
The majority of Cities, Townships, Towns, and Counties simply cannot afford a 311 implementation, in both monetary and organizational terms.
That’s where we can help by providing many of the benefits of a 311 system at a tiny fraction of the cost. Let us show you how it’s done.
Email Ian Lucas today. Or call 716.406.4944.Our thanks to Government Technology for permission to link to their excellent article.